Piano hinges (also called “continuous” hinges) are a popular option for DIY projects and can be used for many applications. This is especially true in cases of heavy usage or chance of extensive wear and tear.
Let’s take a look at a few of the many advantages of piano hinges.
Advantages of piano hinges
There are numerous advantages to choosing piano hinges.
- Customizable. Probably the biggest advantage of using a piano hinge is that you can easily customize it to fit any length you need for your project.
- Load distribution. When installed properly, the load distribution is guaranteed because a piano hinge runs the length of the door it’s installed on. With a guaranteed load distribution, it will also ensure that the door is rigid, study and that it will maintain its alignment. It also allows them to open and close (regardless of the weight of the doors) with ease.
- Security. The design of piano hinges means they’re harder to break into or pry off. For this reason, they’re often used for restricted or secured areas.
- Privacy. Piano hinges can provide increased privacy because they eliminate any space between the door and the jamb. This is useful in bathrooms, exam rooms, and executive offices.
Disadvantages of piano hinges
While piano hinges are very advantageous, there are a couple of disadvantages that should be pointed out.
- Degradation and maintenance. All hinges degrade over time, and like any other hinge, piano hinges can corrode and accumulate rust. This means they require regular lubrication to keep them at their prime. Also, because of their design, piano hinges can be removed from an assembly if there’s too much force (from pushing and pulling). Additionally, piano hinges often come with smaller screws, making maintenance more of a hassle if you don’t have specialty screwdrivers.
- Installation. Especially in the case of doors, the installation of piano hinges typically requires 2 people. One person will need to screw in the hinge while the other holds the hinged components together. Additionally, each hinge leaf needs to be screwed in properly as misalignment can cause the door to be uneven or even not function properly.